A word about Yoko Ono, and then we return to our regular programming…

Yoko and historian Gordon Chang (Photo: L.A. Cicero)

The Dalai Lama, Condi Rice, now Yoko Ono.  What has gotten into us? Okay, okay, a quick word about Yoko, and then we return to our regular programming.  Maybe a word or two about Leszek Kołakowski, or maybe a thought about Fulke Greville‘s influence on Thom Gunn and Robert Pinsky.

Tonight’s CNN interview headline: “Ono: ‘I was used as a scapegoat’ in blame over Beatles breakup.”

This is not news.  I interviewed Yoko in January 2009 here.  An excerpt:

HAVEN: You’ve gone from one of the most reviled public figures—the one that was blamed for breaking up the Beatles—to a celebrated international icon. How did you weather the storms?

ONO: I think that I was very lucky. I went through the most horrible situation where I could have been killed. There were people who really wanted me dead. I don’t know how I survived that. You can’t advise people. It’s such a severe situation when people go through it, I don’t know what they can do. All we can do is do our best, whatever that is—our best to survive.

Kołakowski anyone?

HAVEN: Of course, when you burst on the world stage with John Lennon in the 1960s, World War II was only two decades in the past, and the women’s movement had not yet been launched.

ONO: Exactly. [laughs]

HAVEN: Do you feel sexism and racism played a role in your treatment?

ONO: Definitely. It was very upfront, very clear. I think maybe I was used as an example of something—to make people understand what one goes through. Maybe in that sense it was beneficial—beneficial to society, maybe.

You heard it first here.

Whew!  We’re glad we got that out of our system.

Tags: