New York, Warsaw: Rockefeller Center’s herald angels, and Czesław Miłosz in Twórczość

Herald angels at RockefellerCenter 12/2014

Hark the herald angels … at Rockefeller Center (Photo: Zygmunt Malinowski)

Zygmunt Malinowski neglected to send this photo with his Christmas batch – so here it is, as a postscript to yesterday’s post featuring New York City window displays for the season. We’re just in time for the Second Day of Christmas (ten more to go). He wrote that he “didn’t send it because we know that scene so well. It’s the main attraction: Rockefeller and the Christmas tree. As we all know, there is a lot of commercialism, but the herald angels and the Christmas tree are still at Rockefeller Center each year.” I’m fond of the Fifth Avenue snowflake photo at the top of yesterday’s post, and it’s a favorite of his, too: “I always liked the giant snowflake – it’s there every year – one can see it from a few blocks away, so it makes quite a big impression once you get to it.”

He shared a little about his own Wigilia feast at the Polish Institute of Arts and Sciences of America (PIASA) in New York City – I described my own Wigilia here. Last summer PIASA had its annual conference in Warsaw, and Zygmunt made extra sure that they had plenty of the monthly literary journal, Twórczość on hand. The reason? The issue included his essay, which I had published in An Invisible Rope: Portraits of Czesław Miłosz. The piece, “Poet versus Camera: Three Encounters,” was featured on the poster to publicize the issue (see below). “I heard that whatever they had, sold!” You’ll recognize Zygmunt’s photo of Nobel laureate Czesław Miłosz below as the same one that graces the cover of An Invisible Rope. Congratulations, Zygmunt!

PIN-5

Tags: ,

2 Responses to “New York, Warsaw: Rockefeller Center’s herald angels, and Czesław Miłosz in Twórczość

1. Sherma Patibanda Says:

Dear Mr. Malinowski:

Have you ever seen a newspaper photo of Mr. Milosz taken by a reporter who went to knock on his door in California the day the Nobel prize was announced. The photo shows the door slightly ajar and the journalist trying to explain why Milosz should let him in and hear the news. It’s an amazing moment in the life of an unassuming college teacher. I have been looking for it for decades!!

2. Cynthia Haven Says:

I love this photo, too!